Bunny hunting West of Shelley
I was able to get out and go shooting / hunting with Steve on Sunday. We weren't planning on it but the weather turned a bit warm and we decided late Saturday night that we'd go.
We went to a new spot this time, just west of Shelly Idaho... about 4 miles South of Idaho Falls. Steve found the area while working, doing a lock out on someones car I think. Anyways, we looked on the satellite maps and found the area... great spot, deep in the lave flows.It did suck a bit because there was still plenty of snow on the ground and the lava flows have deep cracks in them. One minute you'd be mushing ahead and the next, your foot and leg would fall into a snow covered crack. Only happened a few times, not as bad as last time we went hunting in the lavas.
We didn't bring the dogs, too dangerous and I'm sure we would have lost one in a crack. Plus, under the snow, there is plenty of cactus, nasty shit! Both Buddy and Pinot have had their rounds with the cactus, with bleeding paws. Plus, as we all know, Pinot is a coward. She is very gun shy. In fact, I don't believe I've ever met more of a coward than Pinot, human nor dog.
We found a few cave's pretty good ones. We sat and chilled for a while in the largest one. The entrance cameoed by a large tree. It was a nice resting spot, out of view and under cover. This was for sure some type of cat, fox, coyote, or some thing's home. We just came across it while they weren't here. Too bad.
Here's a video of the entrance to the cave
We hiked for about 4 miles over that shit... thank God for good shoes. The lava can tear the hell out of rubber if you rub it the wrong way. No injuries, no complaints. It was a good time. The weather was a bit nippy in the morning. Got a little chilly eating my Alberto's burrito in the 10 degree weather. But, as the morning came on, we had a bit of snow, and warmer temps. I'm sure we'll be heading out there this weekend since there is only a few weeks left in bunny season.Steve is getting his scope mounted on his Golden Boy lever action, brass plated, .22 magnum. Beauty of a gun, a little heavy for my taste in .22's. Plus, I just have a thing for black weapons, all my rifles must be black composite... don't like the wood grain. Steve's gun is a nice looking one though. They've just legalized wolf hunting next year. I will for sure be putting in for the tag. Tags are just $9.00!!! Can't wait.

















No comments:
Post a Comment